Water Damage Cell Phone Repair. Many people accidentally drop their cell phone in water or spill a drink on it. Does that mean that the phone is forever ruined? Not at all! Follow these tips and you may just save your phone.
#1. This is the most important part … TURN IT OFF. Don’t try to power it on, don’t try to use it. We know that you are anxious and desperate to see if your phone still works but trying to use it is the worst thing you can do.
#2. DO NOT TRY TO CHARGE IT. Sending a live current into a device soaked in water is a recipe for disaster.
#3. Remove the battery if possible. If you have a phone with a user replaceable battery then get that battery out right away. .
#4. Get it into a cell phone repair shop ASAP and we do mean ASAP. Within the hour if possible.
Should I put the phone in rice? If you like but it really doesn’t do anything. You can put it in rice to try to dry it out but it frankly isn’t very effective. The problem is not with the water inside the phone, it is with the impurities in the water. The problem is with the little metal bits floating around in the water that become polarized and start to corrode the internal components.
Corrosion starts as early as 30 minutes after the phone has been in the water. Putting it in rice for a few days is actually the worst thing you can do because the corrosion will slowly spread and eat away the internal components and connectors. The best thing you can do is get it into a repair shop within the hour. The sooner a cell phone repair technician can open it up and begin the cleaning process the better the chance that the device can be saved.
TL;DR Turn it off, remove the battery if possible and get it into a repair shop within the hour.